Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Friday 26 April 2024, 10:32:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

The Latest Endian Firewall is now available for download HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6493 Members
Latest Member: thiagodod
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  Installation Support
| | |-+  Upgrading to latest release
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Upgrading to latest release  (Read 38622 times)
john_cic

« on: Wednesday 28 October 2009, 01:30:15 pm »

Hi,

I am currently running Endian Firewall Community release 2.2 - Kernel version: 2.6.22.19-72.Endian15.

Is it possible to upgrade straight to the latest 2.3 release or does it require a fresh install?

Regards,
John
dr.fix

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 2009, 09:24:51 pm »

I'd like to know the same thing...

is anybody answering on this forum?
bayross

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 October 2009, 10:49:04 pm »

I would say do a backup of the config and then do a fresh install and restore the config. I did try last night to go from 2.3RC1 to 2.3 Final and it did not work. Tried twice and I am pretty sure I didn't miss anything. I would say as a fail safe take a clone of the entire firewall with Acronis this way you have some backup plan.
Thanks,
Garrett
cmateski

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 2009, 01:34:03 am »

There is a way to upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 with the 'efw-upgrade' command.  However, some users (like me) are not able to get the upgrade to work.  This thread covers the problem:  http://efwsupport.com/index.php?topic=1014.msg2358;topicseen#msg2358

The Endian Community documents the upgrade process here:
http://www.endian.com/en/community/download/ 

Scroll down to the "Updates" section ...
"Just create a free Endian Community Account at http://www.endian.org/register and you'll get the update instructions via E-Mail."

I hope this helps.  Please reply if this worked for you. 

caseroj

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 October 2009, 03:24:24 pm »

Don't waste your time.  This evening I wiped out my RC1 install of EFW 2.3 so I could install the final 2.3 release and it was a disaster.  Installing the software was troublesome to say the least.  The installation program seemed rather buggy and locked up my machine several times.  I finally got it installed but only after waiting nearly an hour for it to do what should normally take 10 - 15 minutes.  When I finally tried to use the firewall it kept dropping the network stacks.  I could not even ping it on the network.  I finally decided to wipe it out and reinstall 2.3RC1.  This is probably the first time I can remember where a beta version of the software actually works better than the released product.   So far 2.3RC1 is working fine for me with the exception that the dashboard fails to generate the nice traffic graphs of the interfaces.  Other than that RC1 is working fine.
john_cic

« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 October 2009, 11:21:57 am »

Thanks for the replies Smiley

I have decided to install version 2.3 on a brand new IBM x3550 M2 and then try to import the configuration file from an identical machine running version 2.2.  At least this way I can test the operation of the new version without interrupting the current Proxy.

My first attempt at installing the new version failed  Huh
Currently working on second attempt...

Cheers,
John
caseroj

« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 October 2009, 02:27:00 pm »

Just an update....I shared my experience installing EFW 2.3 last night with our sysadmin at work (who turned me on to endian in the first place).  Well, he decided it must have been a corrupt CD I was using so he decided to download and burn a new copy on his machine at work.  Just to be safe we decided to attempt an install on a desktop machine he had on hand at his desk.  We started the boot process from the CD and immediately we encountered a kernel panic!  Once we saw that we decided this release is crap.  I guess the endian developers only tested it on their appliances.   I would stay away from 2.3 for a while.  However, please post how you make out with the install.  I would like to hear if you are able to get it working.

Thanks,
Juan
jester95

« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 October 2009, 02:37:27 pm »

Thanks for the replies Smiley

I have decided to install version 2.3 on a brand new IBM x3550 M2 and then try to import the configuration file from an identical machine running version 2.2.  At least this way I can test the operation of the new version without interrupting the current Proxy.

My first attempt at installing the new version failed  Huh
Currently working on second attempt...

Cheers,
John

Post back if you are successful.  Thanks.
john_cic

« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 October 2009, 04:50:36 pm »

The problem with my first install was related to serial port console access.  When prompted for console access during the installation I originally chose YES, but after the install was complete the system would get stuck on "GRUB loading stage2...".  A quick google revealed this was related to the serial port being disabled in the BIOS.  I enabled the serial ports in the BIOS, but still faced the same issue.  This is when i decided to start over.

2nd attempt:

This time i chose NO for enabling console access and the installation worked and booted!!
I was able to get into the web interface and imported the config backup from version 2.2.  After the required reboot the web interface returned errors saying the configuration was incorrect and showed a whole lot of script on the page... Unfortunately i was trying to fix a separate issue and didn't really pay attention to the error that appeared.

At this point i just wanted to know if the 2.3 release worked, so i factory reset the settings and configured the network config manually.

Result:

It's alive!! Cheesy
The new dash board looks pretty cool... haven't been able to test much yet Sad

I will post back with results and try loading the 2.2 config again!

rhaarhoff

« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 October 2009, 07:49:17 pm »

Restoring the 2.2 settings breaks the system, you will receive a errors on the web interface when trying load cretin sections of the web console.
The upgrade should be done via the efw-upgrade script, which in not currently working as it not finding any new updates.

A ticked has been opened on the Bug Tracker: http://bugs.endian.it/view.php?id=2326
Refer to the support forum for more info: http://efwsupport.com/index.php?topic=1014.0

Cheers,
jester95

« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 October 2009, 01:11:09 am »

from my ticket. http://bugs.endian.it/view.php?id=2326
Updates from 2.2 to 2.3 will be available by the end of November.
Restoring a 2.2 backup on a 2.3 it's like upgrading.

Solutions:
- wait until November (recommended)
- reinstall and reconfigure
- restore by hand the essential configurations in /var/efw

looks like updates won't be ready for another month.  I think I'm going to screen shot my current config and manually enter into a new 2.3.  Its probably the safest route but not the easiest.
sarabanjina

« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 November 2009, 01:16:46 pm »

Hi all,

Just to let you know that I successfully upgraded my endian 2.2RC3 to 2.3 (with configuration).
I installed a fresh Endian 2.3 and imported my 2.2 backup.

I had then 2 problems :
- 501 internal error on web interface
The file "he ader23.pl" was missing in /var/efw (as stated in apache log)
- missing parts in web interface (emi related)
/etc/init.d/emi start doesn't work.
The file "emi.conf" was missing in /etc/endian.

I found these files in "/var/efw/factory/factory.tar.gz".

Now, everything seems to work perfecly and all my configuration is there.

Hope it helps,

Sarabanjina
mudfly

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 November 2009, 07:16:29 am »

@Sarabanjina Thanks for this info, I was able to get my upgrade from 2.2RC3 to 2.3 working after following your steps.
mohsh86

« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 December 2009, 07:12:50 pm »

Just an update....I shared my experience installing EFW 2.3 last night with our sysadmin at work (who turned me on to endian in the first place).  Well, he decided it must have been a corrupt CD I was using so he decided to download and burn a new copy on his machine at work.  Just to be safe we decided to attempt an install on a desktop machine he had on hand at his desk.  We started the boot process from the CD and immediately we encountered a kernel panic!  Once we saw that we decided this release is crap.  I guess the endian developers only tested it on their appliances.   I would stay away from 2.3 for a while.  However, please post how you make out with the install.  I would like to hear if you are able to get it working.

Thanks,
Juan

i faced the same problem, seems some configuration with bios, try to load your default bios settings,

i guess mine was sth to do with VGA init (on board or PCI) and the memory for it i've set it to 1 MB the default is 8 (the working configuration is to init PCI VGA first, and 8 MB memory)

please feed back if it solved the problem
xtreme

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 February 2010, 10:04:33 pm »

Thanks for you help Sarabanjina!!!
Upgrading from 2.2RC to 2.3 with fresh installation and restoring 2.2rc backup configuration files only.

I did as you said and it worked perfectly, the only thing I have to add to it, is to just update the rules, after it reboots all the Port Forward NAt rules is in RED so just go to edit and update the rule.
Againn thanks for the information, I appreciated the help of all us in this Endian comm,unity forum. It is with our help that Endian keeps sharp like it is.

Here is what Saramnjina posted:

I had then 2 problems :

Hope it helps,

Sarabanjina
[/quote]
xtreme

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 February 2010, 10:17:06 pm »

Thanks for you help Sarabanjina!!! Grin
Upgrading from 2.2RC to 2.3 with fresh installation and restoring 2.2rc backup configuration files only.

I did as you said and it worked perfectly, the only thing I have to add to it, is to just update the rules, after it reboots all the Port Forward NAt rules is in RED so just go to edit and update the rule.
Againn thanks for the information, I appreciated the help of all us in this Endian comm,unity forum. It is with our help that Endian keeps sharp like it is.

Here is what Saramnjina posted:

I had then 2 problems :

Hope it helps,

Sarabanjina
SivakumarRn

« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 May 2010, 10:24:20 pm »

Can you guide me with the Fresh Installation Procedures for my Endian Mercury
endian-christian

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 June 2010, 08:13:23 pm »

Can you guide me with the Fresh Installation Procedures for my Endian Mercury

Hellol,

Upgrades for the Enterprise edition will be available not before the end of June.

Kind regards,
Christian
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 18 queries.