Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Saturday 20 April 2024, 05:11:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Get the new Updates directly from Endian  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6491 Members
Latest Member: roy
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Support
| | |-+  Quality of Service.. Please help
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quality of Service.. Please help  (Read 37057 times)
boardgame

« on: Saturday 30 January 2010, 12:44:27 pm »

Hi everyone..

I have a issue with Quality of Service.. I really want to use it but can't figure it out.. the docs explain what each tab is but doesn't explain how to set them up or any type of detail.  I want something simple but can't for the life of me figure it out.. sorry im a noob....  All i want is this..  I want my port 80 (web surfing traffic) to take prioraty over my bittorrent traffic port 54458..  Cause whenever im downloading using bittorrent my web surfing becomes so slow..  my download does about 20,000 down at daytime and 40,000 during nite..  Any help would be great..

Thanks everyone

Boardgame
netbrain

« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 2010, 03:37:58 am »

+1 bump
acecombat

« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 2010, 06:05:37 pm »

First you'll want to add a "device" under QoS with your main uplink selected as the target device.
Choose your upstream and downstream values in accordance with your internet connection speed.
The default classes that Endian has setup (In 2.3 anyway, not sure if they existed in earlier versions) should be fine for what you need so you can skip that tab.
---
Next go to "Add QoS rule" under the rules tab.
Under source you can either leave it as <ANY> or you can pick a particular zone or IP if you like.
Under destination device/traffic cl choose High priority for the first rule and Bulk or Low priority for the 2nd rule you'll create in a moment (I'd recommend Low if your not too concerned about your BT traffic as it will always leave at least 20% of your bandwidth unused)
Under Service/Port choose "User Defined" and then choose TCP as the protocol and in the destination port enter 80 then enter 443 on the line underneath it (Choose TCP & UDP for your 2nd rule and enter your BT port instead of the port 80/443 combination)
Leave the TOS/DSCP field set to <ANY> and enter a comment if you wish
Click the [Add] button and repeat from the --- to add your 2nd rule

After creating both your rules don't forget to click the [Apply] button to make them active.

Hope this helps!
netbrain

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 2010, 06:51:49 am »

how can i configure qos to set all traffic as medium priorty, and then define certain rules for bulk/low traffic and some for high? for example, i would like torrent traffic to be low/bulk, http traffic as high and all other traffic as medium?

And how does the rule order work? i mean if a rule is higher up then another rule, which has precedence? the last or first rule?
Steve

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 February 2010, 09:23:43 am »

The first rule in the list (the top one) is tested first.
If the rule is valid, the QOS limit is applied, if not, the next rule in the list is tested.
All rules are tested in this order until a rule is found to be valid.
If no rule is found, no limit is applied.
For this reason, if you want to limit certain ports or protocols they should be moved up higher in the list.
Then, if you want to limit all other traffic to medium priority, the last (bottom) rule should be:

<ANY> <ANY> <ANY> <ANY> uplinkmain - Medium Priority.

One VERY IMPORTANT thing to remember is to test the speed of your internet connection so you can tell QOS exactly how much bandwidth you have!
Under the Devices tab, you should provide the true Upstream and Downstream Bandwidth values.
Do not enter the connection speeds advertised by your Internet Service provider, run a test to find the true values.
You can find out your maximum bandwidth two ways:
a. Run a speed test between your network and files located on your ISP's network.
b. Look at your modem stats - some modems display the sync speeds.

The values you enter here are used by the QOS system and if these values are wrong, QOS will not work properly.

netbrain

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 February 2010, 01:14:13 am »

Thank you, i will try this, and let you know how it works out.

edit.

Did not work too well. i currently have this configuration in QoS service:

Device   Upstream Bandwidth (kbit/s)   Downstream Bandwidth (kbit/s)
Uplink main   1385   18839

Theese values are taken from my main router.

The classes are the same as default setup.

And then i have theese following rules:

Source   Destination   Protocol   Service   TOS/DSCP   Traffic Class
RED           192.168.0.5   tcp            23875-23876               Uplink main - Bulk Traffic
192.168.0.5   <ANY>   tcp            <ANY>                       Uplink main - Bulk Traffic
<ANY>           <ANY>     <ANY>    <ANY>                       Uplink main - Medium Priority

where 192.168.0.5 is my torrent box. I currently have a download going on and its speed varies from 1500-1900KB pr second. i then started a download from a public ftp close to my location, to see if the bottom rule would be applied. but that only reaches speeds of 50-300KB a sec, and if i stop the torrent download, the speed skyrockets to 1700-1900KB pr second.

And according to the class rules, Medium priority has 30% reserved bandwidth, and according to my calculations the ftp download should reach atleast speeds from 706KB per sec (30%) and higher.

Any other reasons why this isnt working?
acecombat

« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 February 2010, 11:51:24 am »

Firstly make sure those settings your getting from your router are your actual speeds that you get and not just your sync speed (Actual speed can vary greatly from sync speed).  Try www.speedtest.net for a more accurate test of your speed.

Secondly, in the rules your source probably isn't going to be red.  Red is usually the internet facing NIC (aka 'the internet') and green is usually your internal if you only have 1 internal zone.

Thirdly the 2nd rule in the list is assigning all TCP traffic as bulk traffic from the IP 192.168.0.5.  BT also very commonly uses UDP as well as TCP so you might want to change the TCP to TCP & UDP.  This could be causing the slower speeds from your FTP.

Try changing the above and see how it goes.
netbrain

« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 April 2010, 05:35:27 am »

QoS, still isnt working!!! can anyone see anything wrong with this configuration?

SourceDestinationProtocolServiceTOS/DSCPTraffic Class
192.168.0.5ANYANYANYNormal-ServiceUplink main - Low Priority
ANY192.168.0.5ANYANYNormal-ServiceUplink main - Low Priority
GREEN(LAN)ANYANYANYNormal-ServiceUplink main - Medium Priority

As i understand this table would produce the following results:

Any traffic from or to IP 192.168.0.5 is marked with low priority class.
Any traffic from Green zone (LAN) to ANY destination will have medium priority.

This should result in my torrent box (192.168.0.5) getting less download speed when any other machine is trying to download from the internet.

My test case:
i add a torrent and watches as download speed increases to 2MBps (192.168.0.5), i then go to kernel.org (with my machine) and download a file from a nearby ftp location.

Results:
torrent download is still 2MBps, but my download is only 100KBps

Isn't QoS working at all?
netbrain

« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 April 2010, 05:43:31 am »

Just noticed that im getting these errors when i run the command:

root@netfw:~ # restartqos
2010-04-11 21:36:27,463 - restartqos.py[3035] - ERROR - Migration has to be fixed!!!
2010-04-11 21:36:27,467 - restartqos.py[3035] - INFO - Loading configuration
2010-04-11 21:36:27,531 - restartqos.py[3035] - ERROR - RETURNCODE [iptables -t mangle -N QOS 2> /dev/null] 1
2010-04-11 21:36:27,627 - restartqos.py[3035] - INFO - Setting QOS of device: eth1 [UPLOAD=1385, DOWNLOAD=18839]
2010-04-11 21:36:27,692 - restartqos.py[3035] - ERROR - RETURNCODE [iptables -t mangle -N QOS_ETH1 2> /dev/null] 1
2010-04-11 21:36:27,744 - restartqos.py[3035] - ERROR - RETURNCODE [iptables -t mangle -D QOS -o eth1 -j QOS_ETH1 2> /dev/null] 1

netbrain

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 April 2010, 07:24:37 pm »

OK, after spending some time, trying to debug the QoS system. I believe its fair to say it's quite broken. Endian developers seem to have some more work to do to make this work. In the meantime im gonna try pfSense firewall solution, i hear great things about their QoS.
xxxx

« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 May 2010, 12:03:24 pm »

Yes it is broken but you can get it to work. Look at h*tp://bugs.endian.it/view.php?id=2847 give for Red 0.0.0.0/8 and for Green 192.168.0.0/16 (for all Ips) and set the TOS/DSCP to all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 18 queries.