Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sunday 28 April 2024, 06:43:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

The Latest Endian Firewall is now available for download HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6493 Members
Latest Member: thiagodod
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  Installation Support
| | |-+  Endian Network Setup Wizard step 8/8: End
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endian Network Setup Wizard step 8/8: End  (Read 24933 times)
samshah

« on: Monday 05 April 2010, 07:13:33 pm »

Hi All,

I am trying to evaluate this product impressed by the list of features provided in it but it seems that setup wizard after installation hangs after step 7/8: Apply Config, OK etc... and it hangs on screen 8/8 End: (This may take up 20 sec)
Green interface stops responding where i am running this GUI setup from Green LAN segment  192.168.1.x, Orange 192.168.2.x and Red 192.168.3.x.
The default gateway for EFW is router which is on Red segment.

I am not sure what is going on with this PC with EFW! none interface respond to pings after i push the configuration.
Any help would be appreciated . I am using EFW Community 2.3

SAM
koukobin

« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 April 2010, 10:40:32 pm »

I had a similar problem once.

In my case the problem was that after i applied the configuration (step 8/8) the Green Interface became the Red interface and Red became green.
(i didn't noticed that this was going to happen when choosing which interface will be the green and which one will be the red)

Meanwhile, during the configuration, i had chosen the red interface to acquire IP address automatically through a DHCP server.

But, as i told you, the green interface became the red one. So the red interface was connected in my LAN and acquired ip address from my local DHCP server and not from my internet provider. Even when i removed the ethernet cable from the red interface and put on the green, for some reason the firewall was crazy. The ip address on green and red interface belonged in the same network.

You have to check your cabling and then restart the device.
whoiam55

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 2010, 12:32:22 am »

hello samshah, can you login to console? try to ping lan and wan ip from here and let us know what happen?

सत्यमेव जयते!
Steve

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 April 2010, 01:09:44 am »

If you're confused about which NIC is the Red/Green/Orange/Blue card on your Endian, plug them all into the same switch/hub.
Then on your workstation, set your NIC card IP on the same subnet as your Green subnet and plug that into the same switch/hub.

Ping the Endian Green IP address from your workstation.
One-by-one disconnect one of the ethernet cables between Endian and the switch/hub untill you don't get a ping reply.
The cable that you remove which stops the ping-reply will be the one connected to your Green interface.

koukobin

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 April 2010, 02:12:41 am »

Nice trick but i think probably wont work in case the red interface has settings for DHCP (in this case both green and red will have ip address from the same network).

In this scenario, at least in my case, green interface was not responding.

Even when i removed the ethernet cable from the red interface (and the only cable on firewall was connected to green), the firewall was still not responding.

I thing first, you must release the ip address from the red and then try again.
Steve

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 April 2010, 02:52:02 am »

Green can not be DHCP assigned, it must be fixed.

If you can connect to the console you can check your configuration with   ifconfig

samshah

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 April 2010, 04:32:49 am »

hello samshah, can you login to console? try to ping lan and wan ip from here and let us know what happen?

Thanks for the reply whoiam55, Yes i can log into console and i can see all interfaces with static IP address given!! and FYI i am only getting timeouts from green interface IP while other two (orange, red) show blank screen when issued a ping! i.e. stuck/no response! Will confirm this in morning as well. Plus i would appreciate if some one can tell me how can i change basic network settings (change gateway ip/change ip of interface/ add or delete route etc..) from console if it is possible

SAM
samshah

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 April 2010, 04:41:46 am »

I had a similar problem once.

In my case the problem was that after i applied the configuration (step 8/8) the Green Interface became the Red interface and Red became green.
(i didn't noticed that this was going to happen when choosing which interface will be the green and which one will be the red)

Meanwhile, during the configuration, i had chosen the red interface to acquire IP address automatically through a DHCP server.

But, as i told you, the green interface became the red one. So the red interface was connected in my LAN and acquired ip address from my local DHCP server and not from my internet provider. Even when i removed the ethernet cable from the red interface and put on the green, for some reason the firewall was crazy. The ip address on green and red interface belonged in the same network.

You have to check your cabling and then restart the device.

Thanks for the input koukobin, okay i will double check this red to green change and will confirm you in morning coz as far as i remember i checked the interfaces from console using ifconfig and checked using their names (eth0,eth1 and eth2) with their IP and MAC but i will check them again. FYI i have all 3 Ethernet interfaces statically assigned IPs and i am hoping to replace this box with ISA 2004 if it get going Smiley since i have installed this v2.3 almost 6 times after getting stuck at step 8/8... today i even tried v2.2 but same is the case when pushing config!! Grin not sure as to what is really going on here!!

SAM
samshah

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 April 2010, 04:46:44 am »

If you're confused about which NIC is the Red/Green/Orange/Blue card on your Endian, plug them all into the same switch/hub.
Then on your workstation, set your NIC card IP on the same subnet as your Green subnet and plug that into the same switch/hub.

One-by-one disconnect one of the ethernet cables between Endian and the switch/hub untill you don't get a ping reply.
The cable that you remove which stops the ping-reply will be the one connected to your Green interface.

Hi Steve,

Obviously...that is not the case here.. i made sure i know all MACs and cards manufacturers name along with names Endian assigns to them i.e.(eth0, eth1 and eth2) mapped to br0...2 etc. But still, i did this exercise just to make sure i am not over looking anything Smiley

By the way, is there a cli guide some where in the forum?? as i feel quite helpless when i cannot ping any of my EFW interfaces from LAN! neither can i change any info from cli!! if not, can any one post few workable commands that can not only pull useful information out of the box, but also modify??

SAM
samshah

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 April 2010, 05:39:03 pm »

Hi Steve,

Obviously...that is not the case here.. i made sure i know all MACs and cards manufacturers name along with names Endian assigns to them i.e.(eth0, eth1 and eth2) mapped to br0...2 etc. But still, i did this exercise just to make sure i am not over looking anything Smiley

By the way, is there a cli guide some where in the forum?? as i feel quite helpless when i cannot ping any of my EFW interfaces from LAN! neither can i change any info from cli!! if not, can any one post few workable commands that can not only pull useful information out of the box, but also modify??

SAM

To my surprise....my green and orange interfaces were swapped!! i simply switched the cable and all is working now!

Thanks everyone for the input..will let you know after i have explored this product in detail..  Smiley

SAM
ad.aimm

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 April 2010, 08:20:18 pm »

was a mistake
whoiam55

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 April 2010, 12:39:22 am »

Plus i would appreciate if some one can tell me how can i change basic network settings (change gateway ip/change ip of interface/ add or delete route etc..) from console if it is possible

Endian is Linux based, The ifconfig command is used to make network changes in Linux, in Linux your networke cards can be access by ethx where x is a number associated with the device, for example if you have two cards they will be named eth0 and eth1.

If you want to change ip address on your eth0 card, you can issue
Code:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
If you want to add a default gw
Code:
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

cheers!

सत्यमेव जयते!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 18 queries.