Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sunday 28 April 2024, 10:39:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Official Endian Reference Manual  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6493 Members
Latest Member: thiagodod
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Support
| | |-+  Help Installing VMtools on EFW 2.4
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help Installing VMtools on EFW 2.4  (Read 33484 times)
wheelz

« on: Friday 30 July 2010, 08:27:52 am »

Hello all,

The title pretty much says it all.  I've tried the first few links off google (it won't let me post them for some reason).

I haven't had any luck though.  I have ESXi 4.1 running and need some of the features that vmtools bring like being able to shut down and start up the VM and Gigabit speeds with vmxnet3.  Does anyone know how to get the vmware tools installed?

Thanks in advance!
mrkroket

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 August 2010, 03:57:11 am »

Check http://efwsupport.com/index.php?topic=1944.0
I've installed it on ESX4 with a version 4 virtual machine. I haven't used version 7 vm because I hate VMWare server 2.0, and I still use VMWare server 1.
wheelz

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 2010, 02:04:55 am »

I finally got a chance to try this out and after much trial and error, I have most of it figured out.  Thanks for your help mrkrocket.  I wanted to be able to build it because I have 4.1 instead of 4.0 and I'd like to be able to upgrade as needed.  I combined mrkrocket's post with others on the net and got everything to build.  The only problem is that after reboot vmware tools starts but the NICs aren't quite working.  I can run the fix-nic.sh each time it boots to fix it, but that is less than ideal.  As far as I can tell it just re-initializes the driver.  Any ideas on why this would be happening and what can be done to fix it?

Also what is the purpose of the fix-startup.sh?  It looks like it may switch the VM to use vmtools for time sync instead of NTP.  Will this cause any issues if I want it to sync to NTP instead of the host?

I will post the process I used to compile and install vmtools as soon I get this last nic issue figure out.  Any help is much appreciated.
mrkroket

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 August 2010, 02:54:46 am »

I finally got a chance to try this out and after much trial and error, I have most of it figured out.  Thanks for your help mrkrocket.  I wanted to be able to build it because I have 4.1 instead of 4.0 and I'd like to be able to upgrade as needed.  I combined mrkrocket's post with others on the net and got everything to build.  The only problem is that after reboot vmware tools starts but the NICs aren't quite working.  I can run the fix-nic.sh each time it boots to fix it, but that is less than ideal.  As far as I can tell it just re-initializes the driver.  Any ideas on why this would be happening and what can be done to fix it?
The fix-nic.sh changes the NIC driver, as stated by VMware Tools when you install. It is only used once. After that the driver must be the optimized VMWare drivers even if you reboot.
Reboot the firewall and check if the drivers are loaded:
dmesg | grep vm
modprobe -l | grep vmx
Mine seems to work fine. Are you sure your compiled drivers fits on your kernel?
When you compile the drivers, it must say that the driver fits perfectly. If it doesn't say that, the drivers won't work even if it compiles.
Be sure that the kernel sources on /usr/src/linux are the same that the running kernel.

Also what is the purpose of the fix-startup.sh?  It looks like it may switch the VM to use vmtools for time sync instead of NTP.  Will this cause any issues if I want it to sync to NTP instead of the host?
The purpose is to call correctly the vmware script. I used a prior script that was around there. Not sure why the first guy changed those things, blame him.
The original fix-startup.sh was on a patch file on that link: http://www.rndgroup.co.nz/blo g/2009/01/30/vmware-tools-in-an-endian-appliance/ (remove the space in the word b.l.o.g.)
I found difficult to recompile the VMWare tools for almost anybody, and it added unwanted stuff to your firewall (why one firewall should have compiler tools?!).
So I just packaged everything to a hassle-free VMWare Tools install. Just download, run install, press Enter a lot of times and reboot.

I will post the process I used to compile and install vmtools as soon I get this last nic issue figure out.  Any help is much appreciated.
As I said, if you are compiling be sure that you are using the correct kernel sources. Steps to compile:
1-Change kernel to kernel-PAE
2- Use the precompiled package I put on the forums. If it says that you must recompile, then go to the next steps. If you use the original VMWare Tools disk, you must manually edit some files, and you must follow the link above (with some changes, because it was for an old EFW release).
3-Install devel RPMS. Download SRPM packages from Sourceforge, and install the RPM packages you need to compile + the kernel-PAE sources
4- I don't know why, but it seems that there are two gcc versions. You must use gcc4 to compile. You can either rename /usr/bin/gcc to gcc3 and rename gcc4 as gcc  (or create a symlink), or use these commands before compiling: CC=/usr/bin/gcc4 and then export CC
5- Create a symlink to your kernel on /usr/src/linux with ln -s /usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`-`uname -m` /usr/src/linux. Check that /usr/src/linux exists and have files on it.
6- Try to install again. Now you should recompile the drivers correctly. It must say that the driver fits perfectly. If it doesn't say that, the drivers won't work even if it compiles.
wheelz

« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 August 2010, 12:23:00 pm »

If you use the original VMWare Tools disk, you must manually edit some files, and you must follow the link above (with some changes, because it was for an old EFW release).

Is it just the vmware-config-tools.pl and vmware-uninstall.tools.pl files that need edited?  I did a quick compare and that was the ones that jumped out.
mrkroket

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 August 2010, 03:41:07 am »

and the fix- scripts.
wheelz

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 September 2010, 08:29:50 am »

Ok, I got a chance to come back to this.  Sorry for my sporadicity.

I am still having the same issue.  I can compile the drivers perfectly but they do not load on reboot automatically.  If I run your fix-nic.sh each time, then it immediately starts working.

Reboot the firewall and check if the drivers are loaded:
dmesg | grep vm
modprobe -l | grep vmx

For dmesg I get "VMware vmxnet3 virtual NIC driver - version 1.0.10.0-NAPI" and 4 more vmxnet3 lines that detail the IRQ and latency timer settings.

For modprobe I get "/lib/modules/2.6.27.19-72.e25PAE/misc/vmxnet3.ko" (and one for vmxnet but I don't have one of those installed).

I did notice that on boot up I get this:  "insmod: can't read '/lib/vmxnet3.ko'; errno=2" (and one for vmxnet.ko and pvscsi.ko).  Could it be that there is just a path screwed up somewhere because it seems like it isn't looking in the right place?
wheelz

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 September 2010, 11:42:15 pm »

Strike that... I thought it had said "loaded perftectly" but it has not.  This is very frustrating just to get vmtools installed.   Huh

I'm really not sure where to go from here.  I need to be able to install vmware tools and upgrade as needed if I am going to use EFW...  I imagine now a days a lot of companies would be having the same requirements as  I know many companies that prefer virtual appliances.  Is there anyone who could make a guide on how to compile and install vmtools on EFW?

Any other advice that helps meet me goals is welcome as well.  Thanks.
mrkroket

« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 September 2010, 04:20:35 am »

Ehmm, I don't think many companies need to compile VMWare Tools on a Firewall.
I think many companies need VM Tools installed the easiest way, and that's what I did and package.
5-6 steps and there you go, compiler-free.
What if you need a newer VMWare Tools version? Well, that's another history.
Endian SRPMS are "half-baked", they don't include all you need to properly compile many things.

Compiling is such a pain, I would not recommend it. 
If you have the compiled drivers, try to just replace the ones on in my package, maybe it works.
wheelz

« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 September 2010, 05:27:55 am »

You're right, installing it in the easiest way is what is needed, but being able to upgrade as needed goes hand in hand with that.  While I appreciate the one time build, I wouldn't expect you to create me a build each time.

I agree it is a pain...  I guess there is no solution then...
mrkroket

« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 September 2010, 05:56:10 am »

VMWare Tools doesn't change so often. Once you have your version, probably you won't compile it again.
I mean, if you have ESX4 and you upgrade to ESX4.1, as it is a minor version I suposse it must be totally compatible.
So unless there was some critical bug on VMWare tools, I won't plan to change it.

When I have time, I'll try to recreate the steps to have a compile ready EFW, and pass you the steps.
Unfortunately I have no time now. Although I think you have some problem with the VMWare install scripts. You can't use the stock ones, you must modify them and adapt to endian.

Anyways I must warn you that EFW will not support virtual appliances in a long  time, they sell it as an Enterprise Feature
http://www.endian.com/es/community/feature-comparison/
wheelz

« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 September 2010, 09:03:09 am »

I do appreciate the help... I can probably make it easier by posting how I get my environment ready.  Then maybe it will just be pointing out what I did wrong.

First I use the efw-upgrade to get it updated and then do the smart install to switch the kernel to PAE (just like you laid out).  After rebooting and verifying the kernel, I copy the dev install packages and the vmtools install to the firewall and run a shell script I made to prep the dev environment.  Here is the script:

Code:
echo "Installing kernel dev package..."
rpm -Uvh devtools/RPMs/kernel-PAE-devel-2.6.27.19-72.e25.i686.rpm

echo "Creating links..."
ln -s /usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`-`uname -m` /usr/src/linux
ln -s /usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`-`uname -m` /usr/src/endian

echo "Installing additional dev packages..."
rpm -Uvh devtools/RPMs/binutils-2.15.92.0.2-25.endian2.i586.rpm
rpm -Uvh devtools/RPMs/glibc-kernheaders-2.4-9.1.103.EL.endian1.i586.rpm
rpm -Uvh devtools/RPMs/glibc-headers-2.3.4-2.41.endian8.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh devtools/RPMs/glibc-extras-2.3.4-2.41.endian8.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh devtools/RPMs/glibc-devel-2.3.4-2.41.endian8.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh devtools/RPMs/libgomp-4.1.2-14.endian1.i586.rpm
rpm -Uvh devtools/RPMs/gcc4-4.1.2-14.endian1.i586.rpm
rpm -Uvh devtools/RPMs/cpp-3.4.6-10.endian8.i586.rpm
rpm -Uvh devtools/RPMs/gcc-3.4.6-10.endian8.i586.rpm
rpm -Uvh devtools/RPMs/libstdc++-devel-3.4.6-10.endian8.i586.rpm
rpm -Uvh devtools/RPMs/gcc-c++-3.4.6-10.endian8.i586.rpm
rpm -Uvh devtools/RPMs/make-3.81-3.endian0.i586.rpm
rpm -Uvh devtools/SRPMs/kernel-2.6.27.19-72.e25.src.rpm

echo "Setting up paths that vmtools installer expects..."
export CC=/usr/bin/gcc4

Then I run my edited vmware-install.pl.  See attachements for the edited files.  Then I run your fix-startup.sh and fix-nic.sh.  And reboot of course.
mrkroket

« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 September 2010, 01:32:44 am »

Just to make sure I replicate the same you have.
What version machine are you using? v4 or v7?
wheelz

« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 September 2010, 10:31:22 am »

It's version 7.  I start it out with e1000 NICs to get it on the internet for the kernel update and then swap it out with vmxnet3 after I install vmtools.
mrkroket

« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 September 2010, 03:44:46 am »

I can't replicate your VMWare compilation. Your steps are all correct, and are a good reference for a quick startup of a compile machine.

But your VMTools scripts seems way too different to mine. I have an older VMWare tools,you scripts doesn't fit well and gives problems.
Anyway, I don't think it's a compile problem, it seems more a script/path/watheverelse problem.

I think I replicated one problem that you can have.  While you don't have optimized drivers, Endian will use the e1000 NIC as eth0.
The problem comes when you replaces that NIC for the vmxnet3. It seems that the new NIC doesn't use eth0, instead it's placed as eth1.

So you have eth1, but no eth0 (as you probably removed it). That makes that one script (rc.netaddres.up i think) doesn't run correctly, failing the whole process.
Try to do the whole thing but without removing any NIC. Just add all vmxnet3 NIC as you really need, and add another e1000 just for compilation.
Don't delete it at the end. Another way will be tracking down where the Linux system store the ethX reservations and replace eth0 for the last NIC you had, and then I think you can work without the compile-only e1000 NIC.

So, either keep the e1000 or search where to change/move ethX. I think I found some useful info:

You can rename eth1 to eth0 like this:

ifconfig eth1 down
ip link set down eth1
ip link set eth1 name eth0
ifconfig eth0 up

Afterwards you’ll need to add an ip and up the interface with the ip(8) or ifconfig(8)

At: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-fedora-centos-howto-swap-ethernet-aliases/
wheelz

« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 September 2010, 09:22:53 am »

I do have the same problem.  Those commands will rename them to eth0 and eth1 but I can't get it to persist reboots.  I tried the config files from the link you had but no dice.

However even after renaming them I still have to use the rmmod and modprobe commands before the networking will start working.  I think it comes down to the boot messages I get where insmod can't find \lib\vmxnet3.ko.  What's weird is I tried copying those files to that location and allowing full permissions but it still gives the same message.
wheelz

« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 November 2010, 01:13:33 pm »

In case anyone else needs to do this, I tried this again and found out what I was missing.  It was simple enough solution that it was rather annoying that it took this long.  Anyway after you get vmtools installed, shut down, swap out the E1000 vNICs with the vmxnet(3) vNICs, boot up, reset the endian box to factory defaults, reboot, and re-run the initial web configuration.  This obviously will only work well if you are doing a new install but I think this only will have to be done once.  Also you should add this line to /etc/init.d/rc.local so the vmware tools services start:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/vmware-tools start

I didn't even need the fix-nic.sh or fix-startup.sh scripts when I did this.  You still have to do all the steps above to get vmtools installed though (editing vmware-install.pl/vmware-config-tools.pl/vmware-uninstall-tools.pl, installing all the dev tools, etc.). 
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 18 queries.