Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Friday 29 March 2024, 04:22:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

CLICK HERE for the The official Endian Roadmap and Issue tracker
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6490 Members
Latest Member: maquino
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Support
| | |-+  Slow browsing using a second uplink
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slow browsing using a second uplink  (Read 14220 times)
alvaroarb

« on: Saturday 30 October 2010, 05:06:41 am »

Hi to all
I'm having a strange issue with a brand new EFW 2.4, it has 3 nic's, one to the LAN, one to ISP1 (main uplink) and the other one to ISP2 (uplink1), the failover to uplink2 and back to uplink1 works great, but browsing was slow, checking here i found there seems to be a bug with dnsmasq in EFW2.4 so configured LAN clients to use public DNSs, not endian's and problem solved, but when i configure some LAN ips to browse via uplink1 (ISP2) browsing is slow, also tried the DNS trick using ISP2 DNSs but didn't work, so i checked that internet connection attaching a laptop directly to it and the connection itself has no speed problems (i'm testing this by watching a youtube HD video) ... so what can i do? i'm configuring this ips to browse via uplink1 like this:

Network --> Routing --> Policy routing (have a rule here directing those ips to uplink1 with destination ANY)
Proxy --> http -->Configuration Bypass transparent proxy from SUBNET/IP/MAC  (those ips are here so they're not intercepted by transparent proxy)
Firewall --> Outgoing traffic (they're part of a list that grants full internet acces to any port with destination RED)

Thanks in advance
xsidx

« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 October 2010, 12:28:31 pm »

Your config seems fine, have you tried speedtest.net and pingtest.net also, run some tests there for bandwidth and packet loss, and let us know the results.
alvaroarb

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 November 2010, 03:03:30 am »

OK, let's see
I did the suggested tests and here are the results:

- Laptop attached directly to ISP2 router: speedtest says download 1.51 Mb/s upload 1.38 Mb/s, ping 47 ms. Pingtest says Linequality B, MOS 4.33, ping 137 ms, jitter 3 ms, packet loss 0%
- PC cofigured to use ISP2 behid Endian via policy routing: speedtest says download 0.36 Mb/s upload 0.56 Mb/s, ping 227 ms. Pingtest says Linequality C, MOS 4.15, ping 173 ms, jitter 20 ms, packet loss 0%

I'm starting to consider try a different NIC for this uplink, or maybe tune up the MTU? what else can i do?
xsidx

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 November 2010, 05:58:02 pm »

OK, let's see
I did the suggested tests and here are the results:

- Laptop attached directly to ISP2 router: speedtest says download 1.51 Mb/s upload 1.38 Mb/s, ping 47 ms. Pingtest says Linequality B, MOS 4.33, ping 137 ms, jitter 3 ms, packet loss 0%
- PC cofigured to use ISP2 behid Endian via policy routing: speedtest says download 0.36 Mb/s upload 0.56 Mb/s, ping 227 ms. Pingtest says Linequality C, MOS 4.15, ping 173 ms, jitter 20 ms, packet loss 0%

I'm starting to consider try a different NIC for this uplink, or maybe tune up the MTU? what else can i do?

If endian had an MTU problem it would affect ISP1 as well.. I would think so.

Try a different NIC on it, or have you tried putting ISP2 in ISP1 nic slot, Switch out your ISP cables from one to the other. That should let you know if its the NIC or not.
(I know if you have static settings as I do on my Reds this might take a few mins only to do but it should give you results before you go looking for another NIC)

Also if this endian server you have is a box, and your isp2 is connected to a pci NIC, it makes a difference if that nic uses high or low voltage, I believe normal is 3v-5v and high is 7v, not sure right now... but I know it happened to one my servers running endian, the card was meant for a higher voltage pci bus then the one the server had, and this was preventing it from working correctly. Maybe why your ping test came out fine, as it wasn't testing capacity.

alvaroarb

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 November 2010, 01:51:18 am »

OK sid, will try it, thx, also will boot the efw box using a livecd and try to browse via ISP2 to see what happens
Yesterday i also noticed running ethtool the ISP2 NIC is "seeing" just 10 Mbps half duplex link ...
xsidx

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 November 2010, 09:05:08 am »

Any updates on your issue??
alvaroarb

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 November 2010, 02:48:44 am »

Yap ... this is getting weirder by the minute ... tried a live cd in the efw box and browsing via ISP 2 was normal, got good response times and fast browsing, so it's not a faulty NIC, rebooted to endian, inverted cables and the situation was the same, normal browsing via ISP1 and slow via ISP2, actually i fixed a second box with three different NICs and restores an endian backupthere and the results are the same ... but ... if we try browsing via ISP2 off hours, that is after everybody's gone att the office, then browsing is normal ... i don't understand what is happening here ... it's a 2,3 GHZ dual core 3 GB RAM SATA box, so hardware is not an issue here  Undecided
turrican

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 February 2013, 04:26:04 am »

I have the same problem :

Two Uplinks, the first Uplink put into a Broadcom PCIExpress Gigabit NIC and the Second Uplink into an Another Broadcom PCIExpress Gigabit NIC. Uplink 2 download speeds are 800KB/s normally.

The failover runs well, but when i want to apply a Policy Routing example:

192.168.50.60 - Port 80 - Destination Any - Route using Uplink 2

Downloads speeds of the Policy Routing Slow Down to 100 KB max.

Did you find the solution for this problem?

Thanks

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.