Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Saturday 20 April 2024, 08:43:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Get the new Updates directly from Endian  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6491 Members
Latest Member: roy
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  Hardware Support
| | |-+  Endian on Mini-ITX (build share)...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endian on Mini-ITX (build share)...  (Read 14970 times)
seh2000

« on: Monday 29 November 2010, 01:47:10 am »

Hello!

I just want to share my home build Endian Router based on Intel Atom D510 chip and a Mini-ITX mother board.

The build consist of:

MBO Mini-ITX = Jetway NF96FL-510-LF (Intel Atom, Dual Core, 1.66GHz, L2 1MB)
Chipset = NM10
RAM = Kingston 2GB (2x1GB Modules) 800MHz PC2-6400 DDR2
HD = Intel X25M SSD 40GB
Ethernet LAN = RTL8111DL Gigabit
Daughter Board = Jetway AD3RTLANG-LF (3 x 1 Gigabit)
Power Brick = 80w (12v/6.6A)

Case = M350 Universal Mini-ITX enclosure
Fan = M350 Stock case fan 40 x 40 x 10mm

Endian Community
Version = 2.4.1
Kernel = 2.6.32.25-57.e40.i586

Temperature
Without fan:
Core Temp = 61 to 65 Celsius
Case outer temp = 66 to 70 Celsius
With fan:
Core Temp = 50 to 54 Celsius
Case outer temp = 29 to 31 Celsius

I will have to replace the M350 stock case fan as this fan is too noisy. 

The M350 case is really neat and easy to make a build in/with, got a very flexible design and the M350 case can hold two 2.5 Drives if needed. There is also the option to have a "hidden" USB WiFi stick, or even have the Endian sitting on a USB stick.
None of the cables were too long, so in overall the build looks pretty good and organized.
Want to try same case for a small PC to my son with a Intel i3 or perhaps i5, but need to research a bit more on the CPU cooling.

Used first as Hard Drive an Western Digital 320 GB Scorpio Black SATA 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache, but the constant clicking sound from parking the heads was too much. So I replaced the Drive with a Intel SSD drive.

Wish to have under systems information about the Hardware status e.g. CPU temp, HD temp, etc.

I wanted to use the on-board 1 Gigabit LAN for the RED network/interface, but somehow I never succeeded in getting it to work that way, could get it to work as the GREEN network/interface. Perhaps its my limited knowledge on Linux here.

A annoying side effect from not been able to use the on-board LAN i/f for the RED is that I disabled the on-board, to use only the 3 x 1 Gigabit's LAN i/f from the daughter board. This disabling of the on-board LAN resulted in that at each reboot each of the 3 LAN i/f first try to do a over-the-ethernet boot. Which result in a longer boot up time than necessary. I tried any option within the BIOS to remove this, but so far no success.

The install of the Endian app was easy, burned a CD then loaded from a USB DVD/CD drive. The initial load was version 2.4, but did an automatic update to 2.4.1 without an issue.

Next step is to figure out what I can do with the watch dog that apparently the motherboard supports (I think its for some kind of remote monitoring…)

Thanks for reading and I will be happy to answer any questions.

Steen 
sourcefinder

« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 2010, 02:29:56 am »

Steen,

Thanks for the share, and a good system too! Only disadvantage is the limited power of the Atom CPU; this won't be able to deliver gigabit speed to your LAN adapters. I'm not so familiar with Linux yet;  don't know about that watch dog. Maybe ask Jetway for the onboard LAN issue?
seh2000

« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 November 2010, 02:52:36 am »

sourcefinder,

Thanks!
Hmm, I'll have to run some speed tests, but I was pretty sure the D510 would do...

Thanks for your suggestion, I just sent the Jetway support an email on the Watch Dog and the Daughter Board LAN issue, as I hear form them I'll post here. Properly also some pictures of the build.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.