Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Friday 19 April 2024, 04:14:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Official Endian Reference Manual  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6491 Members
Latest Member: roy
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  VPN Support
| | |-+  VPN with Android
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VPN with Android  (Read 24070 times)
mcmoore

« on: Wednesday 24 November 2010, 09:18:00 am »

Has anyone got VPN working with Android based phones? I've given up personally and could do with some experienced help please
Koesie

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 November 2010, 09:30:56 pm »

you will need an openvpn client on your android device.
To install it you will need root access to the device.
mcmoore

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 2010, 07:52:34 am »

you will need an openvpn client on your android device.
To install it you will need root access to the device.

So having VPN settings in Android 2.2 is just a myth then? Or the various connection types in Android aren't at all compatible with Endian?
bradb21

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 November 2010, 01:56:25 am »

Android does not have a built-in openVPN client but it does have support for IPSEC and PPTP. IPSEC support covers most enterprise type VPN solutions. There are openVPN clients in the Android market, but like the previous poster said you need "root" level access to your phone to install. Getting root access on most Android phones is a fairly easy thing.
TheEricHarris

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 December 2010, 08:41:16 am »

I got it working on my Incredible with 2.2.  I am rooted and have a kernel with the TUN compiled in it.  Once you have this, you simply install the OpenVPN from the Market and copy your config/certs over to the sdcard.
mcmoore

« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 December 2010, 10:04:26 pm »

Now I feel like a dog chasing my tail!

Is it possible with the built-in Android VPN settings or not? I have no intention to root my device, especially as the vpn options available in Android are fairly standard.

So is this a limitation of efw, or is it just that those answering don't know how to do it? I appreciate people trying to help but telling me to root my device isn't really what I was asking for.
TheEricHarris

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 December 2010, 02:33:52 am »

I tried to get IPSec to work but never could.   But I didn't spend much time on it, since I wanted OpenVPN to work.

I would think someone with some time could get it to work. 

Be a man, root your phone.  The WiFi tethering (access point to 7 devices) is woth it alone!
mcmoore

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 December 2010, 07:19:59 am »

I tried to get IPSec to work but never could.   But I didn't spend much time on it, since I wanted OpenVPN to work.

I would think someone with some time could get it to work. 

Be a man, root your phone.  The WiFi tethering (access point to 7 devices) is woth it alone!

Nothing manly about rooting. For a start, why would I need tethering? I'm quite happy with my 100Meg cable thanks.

Oh and I got it working so no need for follow ups about rooting thanks. Be a man and do it properly perhaps?
blyss73usa

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 December 2010, 01:01:02 pm »

If you wouldn't mind sharing with the class, I also have been trying to set up a VPN connection between my phone and my Endian Firewall without any luck. As in your case, I really don't have the need or desire to root my phone to use OpenVPN on it.

Please let me know how you did it. In the meantime I am going to take another swing at it tonight and hopefully figure out how you did it. At the very least, I know it can be done...

Thanks!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 19 queries.