Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sunday 28 April 2024, 06:29:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Get the new Updates directly from Endian  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6493 Members
Latest Member: thiagodod
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  VPN Support
| | |-+  NAT & VPN Confusion
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NAT & VPN Confusion  (Read 11767 times)
mrubs

« on: Sunday 20 May 2012, 07:07:53 am »

Hello all,

Here is my confusion that I am hoping you can assist me with.  I have setup a VPN server using Windows 2008 RRAS and it sits behind a SonicWALL firewall.  I have spent the better part of the past week getting the VPN up and running and all of the proper ports operating on the firewall.  As it sits now, everything works great...almost.  When my remote users connect to the VPN, they are no longer able to surf the Internet.  In other words, DNS stops working.  I read articles on how to do a split-tunnel on the VPN, but I do NOT want to go that direction based on the security issues.

When I created the NAT on my 2008 server, it DID fix my remote clients...but it killed my local clients!  In other words, my remote clients could connect to the VPN and surf the Internet and local files with no problem.  But as soon as I created the NAT, all of my local computers (behind the firewall) were no longer able to get DNS resolution.  As soon as I deleted the new NAT entry, the local computers DNS started working again, but the remote (VPN) users were no longer able to surf the web.  So I have created a Catch-22 or infinite loop.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I can configure my VPN server to allow both my local and remote users to resolve DNS without having to create a split-tunnel?
Thanks

mrkroket

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 May 2012, 02:21:05 am »

I think it's not the correct forum for that:
-It's a Windows RRAS related problem
-You use a SonicWall Firewall
-You don't use Endian Firewall

You should try on a Windows 2008 related forum.
dda

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 August 2012, 05:06:27 am »

At the remote site you can take the tick out of "use default gateway on remote network" that will allow them to use their own internet connection, other than that you have to get them to authenticate on the sonicwall which you will need to query elsewhere.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.