Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Thursday 25 April 2024, 09:03:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Download the latest community FREE version  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6493 Members
Latest Member: thiagodod
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Support
| | |-+  Two Green Zones - two sub-nets?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two Green Zones - two sub-nets?  (Read 10019 times)
papertapeman

« on: Thursday 11 September 2008, 06:24:43 am »

Hi,
I'm new to Endian (and anything other than simple networking) and note that it supports multiple green (local LAN) zones. The documentation says that green zones are internally bridged but I am hoping that this configuration can be modified, so that two separate sub-nets can be created which can't see each other but can share the ADSL router on the red zone.

The office I work at has recently sub-let a room and I need to provide the tenant with a small network having internet connectivity and perhaps shared printing facilities. It's obviously important that the tenant can't access our network and vice-versa, except for shared printing. DHCP is required for both sub-nets.

Can this be done with Endian, or should I be looking more towards a hardware solution?

Any thoughts gratefully received!
blobbi

« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 September 2008, 03:14:33 pm »

yes you can.

When you install you efw, insert more then 2 Ethernet Cards, normaly 4 fpr the Zones.

red ( internet)
green ( Network 1) LOCAL
blue( Network 2) Wireless
orange(Network 3) DMZ

You can use green for you Network and blue for the other Network
then configure the Proxy and Firewall so that green cant see the Blue side ( Standardt Option is that green all can ee blue/orange and orange/blue canīt see green or all others )

this i think its the simplest way to separately you network.

so you have the solution that you have to networks but the can not see each other.

greetings from germany

german speaking Endian Community Forum at https://www.efw-forum.de
papertapeman

« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 September 2008, 05:15:18 am »

Thanks for that, blobbi. It will solve the problem very neatly. I've already built a machine with 5 NICs so that there is an extra green zone, but I'll initially configure it as you've suggested, using the blue zone as the second LAN. Perhaps when I have more knowledge of Endian and firewall principles, I'll experiment further, as I'm guessing that there must be a more practical use for the multiple green zone capability.

Greetings from Anglesey, North Wales, UK!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.