Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Saturday 20 April 2024, 03:21:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the official Endian Community Mailinglist  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6491 Members
Latest Member: roy
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  Installation Support
| | |-+  Unable to ping from or to Green Interface after Install.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unable to ping from or to Green Interface after Install.  (Read 17108 times)
maxim

This forum was a waste of time.

« on: Wednesday 12 November 2008, 07:11:44 am »

Once the installation was complete I set the IP for the Green interface as the last step. Then a message box was displayed stating that after the reboot Setup would be run in which I can setup the Network Interfaces and various other features of the software. However, when my system is rebooted i'm offered the standard console prompt where it says, Shell, Factory Defaults, Reboot.

I'm not offered a setup interface where I can set things. All of this wouldn't be too big of an issue except that I can't access the WebGUI from an outside machine. In fact I can't ping to the efw, or get a ping reponse from a machine on the network using ping from the command line. I couldn't find any configuration files which allowed me to configure the network interfaces, and also there is an interface called "br0" which has the IP that I assigned the green interface during the install.

Using ethtool I can see that br0, and eth2 have Links, the rest of the interfaces do not.

Is there a way I can access to the setup application manually?
maxim

« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 November 2008, 12:38:05 am »

It appears as though eth0 is hard coded as the Green Interface? That seems unreasonable to me. After moving the cable to another port which was detected after driver loads as eth0 then everything works fine. Though this mysterious "Setup" is not run, but I am able to login to web GUI without any issues.

----

It now seems that there is a driver issue with the card that I was using as the green interface, it was an on-board card on a very old Intel Platform and it seems that the driver isn't able to identify the link status of the card so it seems that the driver isn't fully functional with that particular chipset.
simon-mola

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 December 2008, 05:15:14 pm »

It appears as though eth0 is hard coded as the Green Interface? That seems unreasonable to me. After moving the cable to another port which was detected after driver loads as eth0 then everything works fine. Though this mysterious "Setup" is not run, but I am able to login to web GUI without any issues.

----

It now seems that there is a driver issue with the card that I was using as the green interface, it was an on-board card on a very old Intel Platform and it seems that the driver isn't able to identify the link status of the card so it seems that the driver isn't fully functional with that particular chipset.

Hey Maxim, I am having the same problem as you described.. and I tried getting smart off your solution. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to make any sense to me even after reading it several times forward and backwards. Could you please help me out and describe what you did to get it work?

Thank you very much

Simon
maxim

« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 2009, 08:40:50 am »

I found today that it's possible to re-order the interfaces in endian through the console. This is a big help and allowed me to properly configure my machine in a way I didn't think was possible.

In regards to my original post, the user who posted after me, the issue was that the Setup which says will be run is not run. I'm sure this is actually in reference to WebGUI setup wizard which is presented to the user when logging in for the first time through a web browser. The wording on this dialog should be changed to resolve the confusion about this mysterious "Setup."

The issue arose because what I thought was going to be eth0 was actually not. It turned out to be eth2, after moving the cable to interface eth0 everything worked fine. The issue is that there was no setup in the console allowing the user to select which interface would be the green interface, it just assumed that it was going to be eth0.

I found that I was able to re-order the interfaces using the command ethconfig and it's configuration file /etc/businfotab
Code:
# Generated by ethconfig
eth0 00:02.0
eth1 02:04.1
eth2 02:04.0
eth3 02:02.1
eth4 02:02.0
eth5 03:00.0
eth6 03:00.1
The numbers to the right of the eth designations are the PCI Bus Addresses of the interfaces. Re ordering the PCI Bus Addresses and appropriately naming them to the desired eth designations will result in the eth interfaces ordering properly on the next reboot.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.