Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Thursday 28 March 2024, 10:36:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Get the new Updates directly from Endian  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6489 Members
Latest Member: GB-gattoboy
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  EFW SMTP, HTTP, SIP, FTP Proxy Support
| | |-+  Transparent Proxy Break Down Internet Connection
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transparent Proxy Break Down Internet Connection  (Read 22137 times)
asyousef

« on: Tuesday 28 April 2009, 04:13:20 am »

Hi,

Iam new to Endian iam using EFW community edition.

I enabled the transparent proxy but after time i observed that the internet connection too slow i checked the system status and i saw that the memory usage is too high (iam using 1 GB RAM). So i disabled the transparent proxy and i observed that the internet speed is ok!

Any one know how i can solve this problem  Huh
jpgillivan

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 2009, 07:09:11 am »

I seem to be having similar issues.   

Memory usage is high everyday.  Swap usage is practically zero.  Max. CPU usage 25%. 

What i have had to do is clear the cache then turn off the http proxy then turn it back on and everything is fast again. Pain in the ARSE but only solution I have right now.
MAllam

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 May 2009, 02:41:08 am »

Had the same issue, upgraded server to 4gb RAM and solved all problems ...
jpgillivan

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 May 2009, 02:48:14 am »

MAllam - how long have you been running on the 4GB?  I don't see why it would need that much ram seeing how their Mercury appliance only has 2GB and it is rated for 50  - 250 users.
MAllam

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 May 2009, 10:54:35 pm »

About 4-5 months now tbh ... I only put 4gb as it was  as chips to  ...
jpgillivan

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 May 2009, 11:08:19 pm »

Yes, memory is not very expensive these days but I don't think throwing memory at an issue is always the answer.  Most of the time installing more memory is like a band-aid, it doesn't fix the real issue.  Unless..... the only thing I can think is that there is allot of web access and more memory will allow one to cache more of it thus reducing the hard drive access.   

Are you using Endian to scan emails also?  This will put additional load on the processor and memory.  We are scanning the POP but I am having problems configuring the SMTP portion. 

We had an issue yesterday with delays, but that was related to our ISP DNS server.  I found different servers and the connection seems to be quicker now.  Now I will have to wait and see if I encounter the issue again.
MAllam

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 May 2009, 11:19:22 pm »

Im not so sure, endian doesnt keep endlessly using memory, instead fitting some more in gave it the breathing room and cache space it needed, since adding the memory we have had zero problems with slowness other than with the DNS which im trying to solve now.
jpgillivan

« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 May 2009, 11:33:45 pm »

Well, more memory never hurts, unless it's a bad DIMM or installing slower rated memory. But that is questionable also. Is is better to have 2GB of pc3200 or 3-4GB of PC2100?Huh?? 

We use AT&T for our ISP.  They had trouble with our regular DNS servers yesterday.  After doing some research I found other AT&T DNS server IP's posted on the web. After setting up Endian and our internal DNS with the new addresses it seems as if DNS was running faster. 

AT&T DNS IP's Found:

I actually use 1 of the above as the primary and 1 of our regular DNS server IP's as the secondary.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.