Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sunday 28 April 2024, 10:21:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the official Endian Community Mailinglist  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6493 Members
Latest Member: thiagodod
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Support
| | |-+  Edit content filter categories??
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Edit content filter categories??  (Read 40598 times)
Upnorth

« on: Wednesday 03 June 2009, 02:32:54 am »

Hi there,

I've come over from using IPcop which was great but causing a few problems.
Endian has been working a treat so far.
I may be being dense here and I apologise but in the content filter section I noticed that some categories when you expand them they are blank.
Is there a way of placing sites under the categories, ie adding miniclip.com to Games in the URL Blacklist.
Also it seems very black and white is there a way of using greylists or partial blocking of a site.
Another thought, can I add words to blacklist as in IPcop.

Cheers
Upnorth

« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 2009, 12:45:20 am »

I have found a way by using WinSCP and going to /etc/dansguardian/

Hope this helps someone else.
hinge

« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 June 2009, 06:23:30 pm »

Hi! Upnorth. can you gave me how to use or instruction for that.. please.. thank you...
Upnorth

« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 2009, 06:56:44 pm »

No Problem,

Download WinSCP and install from here http://winscp.net/eng/index.php.  I chose the norton midnight commander interface the other choice is explorer.
First enable SSH access on endian under the system tab.
Run WinSCP and click on New
Enter the Ip address of your Endian under Host name and leave the port settings as they are.
Put in your username which is root and password for SSH access.  This would have been done during install if not then simply go to the passwords tab on Endian and input one.
Ignore private key file.  (can do that later)
Click save.  You will be asked about saving your password as well, I do but it's not recommended.
Now it may go and try to connect straight away and you will be asked about unsafe certificates or something, just click on yes or ok.
You should now be in with your 'My Documents' showing on the left and the root of Endian on the right.
On the right side you can navigate by using the tabs across the top.  Go to root and you will see the etc folder and then halfway down inside etc is dansguardian folder.
Click on lists for the full dansguardian settings.

Sorry if I'm teaching to suck eggs.

What I haven't worked out yet is the relationship between the dansguardian text files and the GUI categories.
So if I put in a lets say a website in the greysitelist I want allowed in the text files how do I enable the setting in the Endian GUI?
I'll work it out eventually it's just having the time.

hinge

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 June 2009, 12:15:54 pm »

Hi! Upnorth.. thank you for reply to my post.. and i try this. its nice. but i ask can i install this to my endian the file name is bigblacklist.tar.gz. i get this from http://urlblacklist.com/ . i want this to install for may URL Blacklist under Content Filter Tab. Because the URL Blacklist they have word CHAT and more and i try this to click to red and save but its back to check or green. and your familiar for this problem? i hope you help i want to block the CHAT even the meebo.com.  thank you...
Upnorth

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 June 2009, 02:04:44 am »

can i install this to my endian the file name is bigblacklist.tar.gz. i get this from http://urlblacklist.com/ .

I've no idea, I haven't used Endian for that long. 

The Chat under urlblacklist maybe empty.  You need to add a subcategory under the Chat heading in the text files or just simply add the url to the block list at the bottom of the page.
hinge

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 June 2009, 01:06:49 pm »

hi! ok thank you.. you have any idea can easy to do this than i type all website? what the exact url i can type like this http://www.name of site.com or like this www.name of site.com? i hope you help me.. thank you..
Upnorth

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 June 2009, 05:24:05 pm »

You shouldn't need the http or www part, so www.bbc.co.uk just put in bbc.co.uk, try it and see what happens.

Good Luck
hinge

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 June 2009, 12:14:08 pm »

hi! Upnorth.. its work.. but do you how to setup the group policies in the Proxy Menu? and the under URL Blacklist sample chat why not have a categories? and how i can insert? because i try the Chat to change into red sign but when im save its back to green or check sign... Thank you in advane for help and to other post i write..
Steve

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 June 2009, 04:03:11 pm »

All the dansguardian lists are located in  /etc/dansguardian/

You can download the latest blacklist file from: http://urlblacklist.com/cgi-bin/commercialdownload.pl?type=download&file=bigblacklist
Inside you will find a folder called 'blacklists'
Inside this you will find a text file called CATEGORIES and a lot of category folders.

You can replace the existing blacklists file in Endian with a new one.

First, rename the existing /etc/dansguardian/blacklists  to  /etc/dansguardian/blacklists-original
Then copy your new blacklists directory to /etc/dansguardian/blacklists

Doing this the system should work, but the categories format used by Endian is a little different.
All the categories will be placed under one heading  'Uncategorized'.
If you want to fix the way the categories look, you will need to edit the CATEGORIES file.
Look at the original Endian category file and make the changes so they look the same.

There are other blacklists on the internet that you can download, have a look at http://www.squidguard.org/blacklists.html

It's easy to create your own category, here is how:
Create a directory called office and place it in  /etc/dansguardian/blacklists/office
Place your domains and url files inside the directory - have a look at the originals to get an idea of how it works.
Your new category 'office' will be included under the 'Uncategorized' category.
You can make as many new categories as you like and just tick which one you want to use.

hinge

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 June 2009, 06:36:47 pm »

hi! Steve.. thank you for giving idea about for Content filter is this big help for me. by the way its that ok i use this to the Endian 2.2 the new version? and how what program i can use for this for making new folder in endian? i made this using shell? Thank you...
Steve

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 June 2009, 07:24:02 pm »

Yes, latest version 2.2 is OK.
If you use windows, get WinSCP.
You can use portable version - no installation required: http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/winscp_portable

You will need to allow SSH access on Endian.
Go to: System => SSH Access and click 'Enable Secure Shell Access'

When using WinSCP:
Port number 22
username: root
password: {your password}
File protocol: SFTP
Allow SCP fallback: YES

Steve

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 June 2009, 07:49:45 pm »

Hinge:
... because i try the Chat to change into red sign but when im save its back to green or check sign...

You must activate the content filter before you can activate the categories.
Go to:
Proxy => HTTP => Default policy
Click to edit the existing Web Access rule - (click on the pencil)
Click on the drop-down-box and select 'content filter + antivirus scan'
Click Update rule.
Click Apply.

Now go to:
Proxy => HTTP => Content filter
Selct filters you want to use (Red = BLOCK, Green = DO NOT BLOCK)
Click save.

If you select a lot of rules it will take a long time for them to load - only select ones you want!
You will not be able to surf internet through firewall untill rules are loaded - be patient.

hinge

« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 June 2009, 03:18:11 pm »

hi! Steve.. ok thank you for giving an idea for that. i try your instruction about the content filter. but how to edit the file Categories File? what program i can use to edit this? and also the Categories on URL Blacklist in Proxy => HTTP => URL Blacklist how they also to edit? thank you.. very much for help...
Steve

« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 June 2009, 08:02:08 am »

These files are just text files, you can use any text editor.
I use Emeditor but you can use Notepad ++ which is free: http://portableapps.com/apps/development/notepadpp_portable

hinge

« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 June 2009, 04:53:17 pm »

Thank you Steve for give a time for reply to my post and the additional knowledge. I'll try what you said..
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 18 queries.