Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wednesday 24 April 2024, 11:07:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Download the latest community FREE version  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6493 Members
Latest Member: thiagodod
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  Installation Support
| | |-+  PPTP
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PPTP  (Read 28591 times)
martinh

« on: Monday 12 November 2007, 01:58:10 am »

Hello!

I have an Internet-Provider using PPTP as protocol to make a connection to internet. Can somebody tell me, if it is possible to configure this protocol. At the moment I found only PPPoE/PPPoA.

Thanks

Martin
Steve

« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 November 2007, 04:00:51 am »

I'm a bit confused because PPTP is a tunneling protocol commonly used for a VPN connection.
You need to create a Network Layer connection using TCP/IP (using PPPoA or PPPoE) with your Internet Provider before you can use an Application layer tunneling protocol such as PPTP.
To allow PPTP (tunneling over TCP), you need to allow the GRE protocol and TCP port 1723 on your outgoing firewall setting.
Obviously, this will only work once you have a TCP/IP connection with your Internet Provider.

martinh

« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 November 2007, 04:12:49 am »

Hy Steve!

You have not to be confused. In Austria most of the Provider are using a PPTP-protocoll to make a connection (it is not the same you mentioned together with VPN).

If I install an ipcop I can choose during installation the pptp-protocoll and configure it. But I miss it in efw.

(Point-To-Point-Tunneling-Protocol, RFC 2637)

Martin
Steve

« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 2007, 04:29:44 am »

Sorry, I was unfamiliar with ISP's using PPTP.
I believe the new SmoothWall also supports PPTP as a primary connection.

martinh

« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 November 2007, 06:25:07 am »

Hello!

Thanks, I will check it.

Martin
adrian

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 November 2008, 08:21:50 pm »

Here in The Netherlands, PPTP WAN conections are also common. My KPN (formerly MXStream) connection is a PPTP one. PPTP WAN support is shown in the feature comparison list as being available for all versions of EFW, but in the setup for 2.2rc3 I cannot see it. I also see no mention in the on-line docs.  How do I configure my connection?

Thanks in advance for any clues, I find only one other similar thread which had no replies:-
http://efwsupport.com/index.php?topic=104.msg176#msg176

adrian

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 November 2008, 08:34:25 am »

Can anyone give me any help? Please Grin Why can't I see an option for a PPTP uplink?

Looking at http://bugs.endian.it/view.php?id=424, PPTP should have been in the menu from 2.2 beta 3 onwards, or was it removed sometime between then and rc3?
adrian

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 November 2008, 07:30:53 am »

OK, some progress. I eventually found out (through trial and error) that it is only the wizard that does not present PPTP as an option. Once I was able to access the browser and the regular settings pages, PPTP is available as promised.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to configure that page to make a successful connection via my Alcatel Speedtouch Home modem. The modem has an IP of 10.0.0.138, and will only accept incoming connections from 10.0.0.150. It seems EFW thinks 10.0.0.138 is out of bounds for a WAN connection on Red. Hmmm...

If I find a successful solution (I see some speedtouch posts when I search) I will post here what they are.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.