Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Friday 29 March 2024, 11:51:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Download the latest community FREE version  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6490 Members
Latest Member: maquino
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Development
| |-+  EFW Wishlist
| | |-+  Add ons
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Add ons  (Read 16382 times)
den64

« on: Sunday 27 September 2009, 05:22:02 am »

Ability to install addons for the community release, similar to what I.P Cop has that would allow to extend endian's functionality, all done through the web interface.
mrkroket

« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 2009, 04:00:57 am »

I hate addons on IPCop. Was one of the things why I left.
Addons have the problem to not merge well with the original system. Look at ipcop. Each addon feels different, they have no unity.

I prefer to have one official unique system that has everything, but you can activate or not what you need.
The ideal situation was that people who creates an add-on or similar put in that forum (Contribute you modifications).
 After being reviewed and tested by the EFW staff, it should be added to the next official revision.

One EFW = any other EFW. Just install and touch almost nothing. It's what I think.
wnicholls

« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 October 2009, 07:49:59 am »

The quality of add-ons may not always be that great, but opening the system up encourages a third-party community, and lets people scratch itches without complicating the core product.

Personally I want a reverse web proxy or simple web load balancer, so you can run multiple web servers behind the firewall on the same IP address. Simple little configuration applet and something like Pound running on the firewall box.  I don't see a way of doing that out of the box with Squid, and it isn't really a high priority for the Endian product (wrong market).  Perfect for an extension.

Someone else will want something else that I don't want.

Just because it is possible to write poor-quality addons does not mean that you have to install them. Look at Firefox. Thousands of useless extensions, but a few are amazing.
den64

« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 2009, 07:42:16 am »

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies.  The thing that made me think of addons for endian was that i found i needed to install wget on my box and the hastle that i had to go through to chase down the development rpms for 2.2 ...he he that was really something. I think if properly done it should benefit everybody and stop people from needing to install the devel pakages just to compile something they need.

Thanks for your comments
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.