Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Saturday 27 April 2024, 09:17:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

CLICK HERE for the The official Endian Roadmap and Issue tracker
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6493 Members
Latest Member: thiagodod
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  Hardware Support
| | |-+  Endian Firewall 2.4.1 with Intel Quad port
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endian Firewall 2.4.1 with Intel Quad port  (Read 63582 times)
logofwood

« on: Monday 28 March 2011, 10:57:26 pm »

How can I recompile driver with this quad port lan card.

I have kernel version 2.6.27.19-72.e25PAE

with this igb-2.4.13 driver from intel site.

When I use make command it show this result.

gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory
/bin/sh: line 0: [: -lt: unary operator expected
Makefile:189: *** *** Aborting the build. *** This driver is not supported on kernel versions older than 2.4.0.  Stop.

What does above mean?  And how can I solve it.
Thank you.
mrkroket

« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 2011, 02:36:08 am »

Way tooo late to reply, but I have a RPM with these drivers for this kernel:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RO0GZOK8

It's simple to install:

rpm -Uvh igb-2.3.4-1.i386.rpm

And that's all. I used it for months without any problem.
coanda

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 2011, 08:58:18 am »

How were you able to compile that package? I'm trying to but can't without the kernel-devel or kernel-headers package which I can't find. I tried your RPM but it's the wrong kernel for me.
srs06

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 September 2011, 01:10:49 am »

I'm also interested in either being able to compile these drivers for 2.4.1 or setting up a development environment so I can do it myself.

Are other Intel quad-port NICs supported?  Another option would be for me to get a different card.  My card (82580) shows up with "lspci" but that's it.
mrkroket

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 September 2011, 01:27:17 am »

On 2.4.0 we just have the kernel-PAE headers, so we must change the normal kernel to PAE kernel via an smart install

About compiling issues, is way too common. Endian staff doesn't give an easy way to run a devel machine. I didn't tested efw 2.4.1 yet, but I found that as 2.4.0 there isn't a simple way to get a correct devel machine.

There is a very promising post en bugs.endian.com that may solve all 2.4.1 compiling problems.
http://bugs.endian.com/view.php?id=3315

What the Intel driver (igb) covers it's on the webpage:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=13663
About the drivers, they work great. Being used for almost 1 year without a hiccup, and using  it at gigabit speeds.
srs06

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 September 2011, 01:52:22 am »

Good info mrkroket.  Thanks.  I may give that a shot tonight.  I tried downloading the 2.4.1 development RPM tarball at SourceForge but I hit missing dependency issues.  I suppose this may be the kernel issue ...

Another would seem to be to install 2.4.0 and use your RPM.  This is a new install so that may be an option.  I don't see 2.4.0 downloads anywhere though.  Any idea if they're out there?
srs06

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 September 2011, 02:51:29 am »

The instructions for creating a PAE kernel worked but trying to build the igb source under this kernel fails.  It looks like there are options in the PAE kernel modules makefile that are invalid.
coanda

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 September 2011, 03:07:49 am »

I wouldn't hold your breath if you're waiting for a useful post out of this forum. I made several posts which were all unanswered. Eventually I said screw Endian and installed pfSense, it has a better community and is based on FreeBSD which has it's own community. Most importantly the igb driver for this card is already part of the system and those NICs worked out of the box.
srs06

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 September 2011, 03:26:13 am »

pfSense is good.  I have an embedded install of it running as my border firewall.  I was looking at using something different for my inside firewall which is why I went down the Endian path.  I'll probably start looking at alternatives.
mrkroket

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 September 2011, 01:10:13 am »

Community doesn't magically grow from nowhere. Community is people like you and me that try to help others.
If no one answer a question, maybe it's because nobody faces that problem, or simply they use another version.
About your posts, almost all are related to compiling issues. It's true, it's a known fact that Endian staff doesn't promote neither updates/patches nor a simple way to compile. I think many problems people have can be solved by just creating a 2.4.1 virtual machine with a full set of compiling tools.

About the igb driver, I created mine on a Kernel PAE. It worked OK. I don't remember if I needed to patch something, but it compiled.
What issues give you?

I like pfsense, but I don't know, I still prefer Endian. If it worked correctly out of the box and had better support, it will be better than pfsense.
About the 2.4.0, I'm afraid that our  of Endian removed the kernel PAE from smart updates, so you are on the same problem.
The best option is try to create a Devel machine on 2.4.1

srs06

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 September 2011, 03:41:25 am »

Understood about the community. 

The big barrier seems to be the total lack of documentation regarding setting up a build/development environment.

As for my specific errors:  The thread you forwarded about setting up the PAE kernel worked.  After that, installing the gcc and related RPMs also worked because they then found kernel header files.  But when building the Intel source I got errors on several things:  There were options in the kernel modules makefile that it didn't recognize and there was another setting somewhere else that I never found that it was also complaining about.  I played around with the makefile a bit before giving up.  It was becoming a longer project than I have time for right now and I was also concerned about building a hybrid box I wouldn't be able to update easily.  I went down that path once before with a Gentoo install and ended up having to trash the install and start over.  Since this box needs to remain fairly stable I'm going to look for something that supports my network card without too many gyrations. 

As for pfSense, I like it as a pure border firewall with no UTM.  I let a DMZ sit directly behind that but everything else has to pass through a more robust UTM like Endian.   i.e., it's a traditional two firewall/DMZ set-up with Endian (or something else) as the inside firewall.

I may try Untangle, Zentyal, or ClearOS to see how they look and whether they recognize my card.  They would have enough of what I need for an inside UTM I think.  I started down the Zentyal path and it sees my card with no issues.  It's also Ubuntu server based which I'm very familiar with.  We'll see how that goes. 

Another minus for Endian is the lack of a hardware compatibility list.  I would probably try a different network card but I need it to be quad port, I need it to be gigabit, and I prefer Intel.  With no HCL I really can't tell what I might try.  I got a response on the efw-users list about a quad port that works but it's not gigabit.

This is for a small business so some level of predictability and stability is needed.
kevystylez

« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 October 2011, 02:24:56 pm »

Way tooo late to reply, but I have a RPM with these drivers for this kernel:

- Sorry, you are not allowed to post clickable links.
Please remove the clickable links from your post.-

It's simple to install:

rpm -Uvh igb-2.3.4-1.i386.rpm

And that's all. I used it for months without any problem.

Hi firstly thanks for the file - I have been trying to get our install of Endian to support an Intel ET-2 Quad nic which those drivers you've compiled into that package should support. My question is how would I go about installing them?
mrkroket

« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 October 2011, 04:42:06 am »

To use that package you should need Endian v2.4.0 with Kernel PAE.
This is not easy to get it now, as Endian staff removed the Kernel PAE.

Once you have the prerequisites, you simply use WinSCP to upload the file to the firewall, then you use Putty or another ssh client to run the command.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 18 queries.