Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wednesday 24 April 2024, 02:40:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Official Endian Bug tracker  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6493 Members
Latest Member: thiagodod
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Support
| | |-+  DHCP: fixed leases ONLY
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DHCP: fixed leases ONLY  (Read 20425 times)
quaddrophonic

« on: Saturday 16 February 2008, 05:09:21 am »

Hi everyone,
I can't figue out how to only allow fixed leases in DHCP. I have a small networt with 18 PCs, a few game consoles and VOIP Telephones... my problem is, that I can't find an option to only allow fixed leases in DHCP - and I don't want to set them all up manually.
I can only activate the DHCP and then enter the range (i did it with 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.1 but that still leaves one PC to be able to connect without "authentication" via the MAC adress).

Is there any way to do that?

Many thanks,
quaddrophonic
devorem

« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 2008, 11:21:57 pm »

Here is where the documentation explains how to do it:

http://www.endian.it/fileadmin/documentation/efw-admin-guide/en/efw.services.dhcp.html#efw.services.dhcp.add_lease
quaddrophonic

« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 2008, 03:00:44 am »

Thank you for your reply devorem. I configured my Endian Firewall using that manual. But it doesn't explain how to ONLY hand out fixed leases - or is there something I don't get right?

I have to activate the DHCP in order to get fixed leases working, then the next fields are Start end End Adress. If I leave them blank, the DHCP will hand out all existing IP adresses in the subnet. So I set the start and end adress to the same IP and configured the fixed leases. But as far as my understanding goes that leaves this one adress to be handed out to any PC connected which has not been assigned a fixed lease through its MAC adress.

Maybe the only way to do that ist through the custom confguration line - I'll read the documentation attached to that.

If anyone could help me figure out the correct options it would certainly save me a lot of time Smiley
devorem

« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 2008, 05:22:17 am »

I haven't played much with this, but if you set up that one IP address (the one you set for the start and end of the range) as a reservation (a fixed lease) for one of your hosts, wouldn't it then only be given to that particular host and not just anyone? 
quaddrophonic

« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 2008, 06:07:35 am »

In the manual it sais: You should also make sure that any addresses listed in the fixed lease section (see below) are also outside this range.
I guess it would assign that IP to the PC with the registred MAC adress, but if it is offline and another PC tries to connect I think it would be assigned to this unregistred PC.

But still thanks for this very interesting idea Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.