Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Saturday 20 April 2024, 03:36:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

The Latest Endian Firewall is now available for download HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6491 Members
Latest Member: roy
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  Installation Support
| | |-+  New to Endian - how to configure spam training on pop3 - SOLVED?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New to Endian - how to configure spam training on pop3 - SOLVED?  (Read 19030 times)
sourcefinder

« on: Friday 01 October 2010, 04:29:11 am »

After running Pfsense for a copple of years, I was looking for an Open Source UTM-solution with pop3 virus scanning and spamfiltering. May be a dumb question (hope I'm in the right part of the forum for this):

When I try to configure spam training, Endian is asking me for a standard IMAP host, a username, a standard ham-map and a standard spam map. Isn't IMAP something that runs on MS Exchange? My computers receive their mails directly from an external domain server (incoming mail server: pop.domainname.nl. How to configure this spam training? Thanks for your reactions!

I discovered that under Proxy - POP3 - Spamfilter I can add white lists and blacklists. Is that all there is to configure?
kikilinux

« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 January 2014, 05:18:40 am »

HI
if ur post is solved can u give me some information how can we configure spam training section ?
what is an imap host exactly ?
what connection we should test ?

I really appreciate any help.
sourcefinder

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 January 2014, 02:02:18 am »

Hi Kikilinux,

No, I haven't solved it, but I use only IMAP now for mailconfigurations.
kikilinux

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 March 2014, 02:37:45 am »

ok, well
tnanks to answer.
sourcefinder

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 March 2014, 03:31:28 am »

Kikilinux,

I forgot the answer about IMAP (and sorry for my bad english):

When using POP3, a local client (PC or server) pulls the e-mails out of the post box from the host towards the local PC/server. When using IMAP, the local client only looks into the mails from the host. In real world the advantage of using IMAP is as follows: wether you use your PC or a smartphone to read your emails, the INBOX remains the same. When you delete a message on your smartphone, the same message is also deleted when you open up your mail on your PC. Therefore IMAP is the ideal solution when you use your mail on multiple devices.

The disadvantage is: beceause you only look into mail storaged on the host, you have to keep your IMAP mailbox clean. Old e-mails have to be moved to a local folder on your PC or a server, in order to avoid a full mailbox on the host.

The best thing to get common with IMAP is to install IMAP on your smarthpone/, make some new mails, delete some mails and look how your PC reacts.

I got spamtraining working on IMAP. So If you've got further questions, I'll try to help you out. 
kikilinux

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 March 2014, 05:37:15 am »

so tnx,
useful information
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.