Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Friday 29 March 2024, 10:03:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

The Latest Endian Firewall is now available for download HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6490 Members
Latest Member: maquino
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  EFW SMTP, HTTP, SIP, FTP Proxy Support
| | |-+  Bypassing transparent proxy problem for certain PCs...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bypassing transparent proxy problem for certain PCs...  (Read 19395 times)
spotty69

« on: Tuesday 19 January 2010, 11:46:53 am »

I'm running an EFW Community 2.3.0 for a small office with about 16 PCs.

3 of these PCs need to have full, unrestricted internet access, whereas the others need to be filtered to block sites such as Facebook.

I added the MAC addresses of the 'unrestricted' machines to the "Bypass transparent proxy from SUBNET/IP/MAC" section under "Bypass transparent proxy?" in HTTP Proxy Configuration (https://firewall:10443/cgi-bin/proxyconfig.cgi) - but these machines still remained restricted. I then added their IPs; same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
spotty69

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 March 2010, 11:23:49 pm »

Anyone have any ideas about this??

Thanks.....
whoiam55

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 March 2010, 11:32:27 pm »

I don't know what is the problem you facing, but you could try putting a new rule in access profile, select the ip/mac you want not to filter and then select a virus filter only profile and you should be ok. make sure no other rules are conflicting with the rule you create.

सत्यमेव जयते!
spotty69

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 March 2010, 11:34:43 pm »

Well, I thought that was what I was doing - I put the MAC address (and IP, tried both) of the machine which should be unfiltered in the "Bypass transparent proxy" box - but it doesn't bypass it......
whoiam55

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 March 2010, 11:42:45 pm »

I put the MAC address (and IP, tried both) of the machine which should be unfiltered in the "Bypass transparent proxy"

That is what I was saying have no idea about Cheesy

What I suggest is proxy > access profile > create a profile with virus filter only selected in the content filter section (you could leave it to none but I think virus filter should be applied to every connection subject to content filter or not)

सत्यमेव जयते!
spotty69

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 March 2010, 11:52:03 pm »

But can you make profiles on a per-machine basis? This is what I need - some machines filtered, others not.

Apologies if I'm being stupid, I'm not in front of the EFW at the moment, will be in an hour or so though.

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.
whoiam55

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 March 2010, 02:01:15 am »

Apologies if I'm being stupid, I'm not in front of the EFW at the moment, will be in an hour or so though.

you can take an  demo any time round the year Wink

सत्यमेव जयते!
gyp_the_cat

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 March 2010, 02:52:33 am »

Now don't quote me on this one, but I remember reading somewhere that the "Bypass the Proxy Filter" boxes are related to authentication only, as opposed to allow them clean through the filters.

You could always get people to logon to the proxy using the authentication and then have an unrestricted class.  Or have two proxies, one for the "rabble" and one for the "bosses" with different levels on them.  Not something I've done too much on, but our Information Governance requires virus filtering of all web traffic at the absolute very least.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.