Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Friday 19 April 2024, 04:24:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Get the new Updates directly from Endian  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6491 Members
Latest Member: roy
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Development
| |-+  Contribute Your Customisations & Modifications
| | |-+  recipient verification for relaying mail
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: recipient verification for relaying mail  (Read 8390 times)
shiveringmonkey

« on: Saturday 28 June 2008, 12:48:31 pm »

Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum, although I have been Using EFW for years now.  I thought I'd finally contribute something...

I use Endian Firewall's SPAM filtering because I don't want to go through the hassle of setting up spamassassin, amavis, etc. manually.  I set up my filtering on my EFW, and then set the smart host, and relay mail back to my mail server that my clients connect to.  I run EFW on a 650 MHz machine with 312 Mb of RAM.  I found that most of the spam that I receive is destined to bogus users.  This really creates a cpu, memory, and disk access load on my old hardware.   To get around this, I set the following in the smtpd_recipient_restrictions section of my /etc/postfix/main.cf file:
reject_unverified_recipient,

What this does is checks the relay host for the user in it's local users database, and if it isn't there, the mail is rejected at the SMTP level BEFORE it ever hits amavis/clamav/spamd.  I found that this reduces CPU and memory utilization by about 40% on my system, and decreases my load average from about 2.5 to less than 1. 

It would be nice if this were included in the web interface, but it's a pretty easy hack to decrease server load.

Hope it helps someone,

Bear
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.