Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Tuesday 30 April 2024, 10:49:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Get the new Updates directly from Endian  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6493 Members
Latest Member: thiagodod
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Support
| | |-+  What log will show WAN "dead" status?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What log will show WAN "dead" status?  (Read 6995 times)
havoc3d

« on: Tuesday 15 May 2012, 04:20:29 am »

This is probably something stupid, but I can't seem to find it.  I have set my WAN to check an IP to make sure it's up, and when it can't, of course, it gives a "dead" status.  Where in the logs can I find when this happens?  I'm looking at Firewall and System logs live and nothing seems to come up about it.

The long version is I have an Endian connected to cable internet at location over an hour away.  Several times per week they have been having internet outages.  The cable company claims it isn't them, so I need to do some diagnostic.  It's usually less than 30 minutes of downtime, and things seem to come back of their own accord.  I wanted to be able to check the status of the WAN connection 24/7 and look back on a history to see if it has been functional or not. Since the WAN connects to a cable modem, the link doesn't actually go down if the modem is powered up, so the interface status isn't helpful in determining if data is actually moving.  I thought the "check if these hosts are reachable" would be a good thing, since it will give me info about when the wan is up but non-functional, but i can't find anything in the logs about it when I take that host offline and it kicks the wan to "dead".

TL;DR
Where does the WAN status get logged?  If it doesn't get logged, is there something I can do to achieve this logging?
mrkroket

« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 2012, 04:23:16 am »

System->Event Notifications. This warns you by mail. Kind of useless if you dont have WAN redundancy. Maybe is a good start point to track down how events are logged.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.