Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sunday 28 April 2024, 06:30:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Get the new Updates directly from Endian  HERE
14247 Posts in 4376 Topics by 6493 Members
Latest Member: thiagodod
Search:     Advanced search
+  EFW Support
|-+  Support
| |-+  EFW SMTP, HTTP, SIP, FTP Proxy Support
| | |-+  Random Gtalk Disconnections
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Gtalk Disconnections  (Read 13748 times)
jtoledano

« on: Tuesday 02 June 2009, 09:51:51 am »

I installed endian Firewall in two diferent sites successfully. I really enjoy it but, I have a very strange problem that gtalk connects and disconnects Intermittently in both sites.

Does anyone saw that problem?
Thanks in advance

Javier Alexis Toledano
MR_Big

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 June 2010, 01:50:57 am »

Hi there,

Have you managed to resolve this issue? I'm sitting with exactly the same problem on v2.3 and can't seem to find the solution.

What I did pick up though was that it might have something to do with the Proxy as I'm not connected to the proxy on our network but the rest of LAN is and I'm not experiencing the disconnecting. Now I've setup Squid with Dansguardian on another site and I'm not experienceing the problem there so it might also be something to do with Endian's version of Squid / Dansguardian. Well what I'm going to do is disable the proxy and test from there.

Please let me know if you have actually found the problem and a possible solution other than the above?

Janco
Spagetthi

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 June 2010, 11:28:57 pm »

Thank you for posting this Mr_BIG... I have also the same problem with efw 2.3 

I use pidgin instant messenger from my Linux workstation and it disconnects every minute with gtalk. I am using proxy settings and I can't disable proxy as this box will require others to authenticate.
I do have loaded, a custom kernel module i installed but it is compiled with the old kernel devel's from 2.2.
I also use pppd manually to connect my cellphone and apart from the gtalk issue i don't have other connection problems.
On the httpd proxy i have opened 5222 on both ssl and the other tab for gtalk to connect.

start of my emo story
Currently I am looking at the efw to replace an old  IPCOP box in a production environment. unfortunately It seems I'm still looking at other firewalls as I have a few issues with efw.

* The main reason I am looking for other firewall is so that I can block spam from a compromised computer on the green network. The efw  smtp proxy server when configured in anyway that actually works for me so far  seems to allow me to spoof email addresses at will.  Unless someone can explain to me how to run a smtp server in non transparent mode and configure a Thunderbird email client to work with it. I'm going to have to keep on looking if i can't figure this out on my own.

* The forum support for efw is really pathetic. For example the first poster whom complained about the gtalk issue posted June 02, 2009. And only now 1 year and one month later does someone reply. If efw is really so great why is this forum so dead? I really wish it wasn't like this cause I already have allot of info to contribute to this forum. But if it takes years for a single reply i am not going to waste my time. Also what's with the 2.3 devel packages?, so many people have requested them in a other thread but their cries still seem to fall on deaf ears, months if not years later.
/emo story

MR_Big

« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 July 2010, 07:12:44 pm »

Hi Spagetthi,

What I've done is disable the proxy for my network to get this working - NOT the ideal, but I have to get it working. I've read up on this issue and it would seem like it is a problem with GTalk as it uses a "non standard and unrecognized authentication protocol" (I got this from another forum, not EFW related.) I did create an exception for port 5222 but that did not help, even tried to not cache anything from .google.com but unfortunately it did not help as the connections were still being dropped.

I have to agree on the support issue - I have posted several issues and have a 0 response but I think that we have to realize that this forum is the unofficial support forum and with that I guess we can expect a lackness in answers especially if we are not dealing with the developers directly like with Bacula etc. BUT if the commercial product is in anyway similar to the community version .... well then I'd rather look at SOnicwall or Lucent for a decent UTM solution or go back to Shorewall, Squid and Dansgaurdian installations on Fedora / CentOS - the only thing that made Endian nice was the combined web management console - which turns out not to be so great afterall.

Well that is my 2 cents worth - hope you find what you're looking for, I'm also looking for an alternative to EFW at the moment -> maybe I should just go back to Shorewall  Angry
Spagetthi

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 July 2010, 06:50:31 pm »

Hi MR_Big,

I eventually tried a firewall called IPFIRE. Man this firewall rocks. It's made by the Germans! it supported my cellphone without me needing to go compiling any drivers. Their forums rock too i got a reply to my post within a  of minutes from posting. The firewall itself is rock solid I cannot see 1 port open when i try to scan it from the Internet. Plus they use their own custom made package manager which in effect makes everything more secure. No rpms or debs will work on it.

Oh, and Gtalk does work in it.  The net traffic graphs are awesome a billion times better than the ones ipcop had. IPFire will do everything that IPCOP could do and whole lot more on top of that without needing to install any addons.
However, there are some awesome add ons like virus scanning for webtraffic, postfix etc
Oh and installing addons is just 1 click in the webinterface.

Check my post in the ipfire forum for more info. Or post your own questions there before you try.

As for the endian cd, it's just going to end up as a coffee coaster now.

Cheers
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.